07 September 2010

Day 5 Ebeneezer to Alice

Well Drain's Ride didn't go as expected.

I was sitting at Erldunda watching his SPOT tracker and it stayed in one place for over an hour.
Zooming in and going to satellite view showed him to be at Renner Springs Roadhouse. Well short of his planned schedule.
I looked up Renner Springs' web page and found they opened at 6:30 so I rang them on the dot.
When the lady answered I asked, "Is there a bloke on a large motorcycle outside?" She sounded surprised, but said, "Yes."
"Can I speak to him please?"
"Um - OK. {There's a phonecall for you}"
Drain came on the line to tell me that he had suffered from a bout of fatigue and so had called the ride off and bedded down beside the bike. He had the foresight to make it near a roadhouse so those watching his SPOT would not be too worried.

That over, I didn't have to wait too much longer for Erldunda roadhouse to wake up and I was tucking in to breakfast when the others arrived.

Then it was the 200km run in to Alice Springs. Dave needed new tyres for the Yamaha as the two days of riding leaning into the crosswinds had scrubbed them badly. So while they sorted that out for after lunch, Tack went off and found Paul and Mosey who were travelling in the area and we all went for Lunch.
Then found the Alice Motor Inn and settled in. It is a nice old place with an art deco style section which was probably the old house. Large rooms. Good price for this Tourist town.

This afternoon is being spent resting up and getting those necessary supplies for the trip home.

No comments:

Post a Comment