11 November 2010

Hot Cold - 1443km

Head colds are no fun. Even less on a bike.

I decided to get some miles under me today so set off about 5:30 in the dark. The sun was about to come up and so I was able to get a reasonable Sunrise shot.


There were no clouds to make it look spectacular, but I did manage to include two balloons on their early flights.

Southward bound and as the 130kph limit it didn't take too long to get to the border. The countryside still looks good down this far.


The limit changed south of the border so I got to slow a bit. The servos are just the wrong distance apart for me so I had to stop every couple of hundred kliks. The day got hotter, up to 38° but with a tail wind. With this and the slower speeds my fuel consumption dropped from high sevens per 100km to low fives. Good thing too with the prices.



The day got hotter topping out at 39° so my friendly cold virus was copping a beating. Good.

The diggings around Coober Pedy always look alien.

A couple more stops and I was getting close to Port Augusta. Still pretty early so I called ahead to Burra to reserve a room and kept going. Stopped for a banner shot, of course, then over Horrocks Pass and took a few back roads to Burra . Naturally, the GPS wanted to take main roads so I kept making her recalculate. She retaliated by sending me up a nice looking road that turned to 13km of dirt. GoldWings hate dirt.


However she finally got me to Burra and the motel where I will stay for a couple of nights. Hope I can drive this cold away before the weekend.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Clint
    I have been following your little adventure, you sure have the life... beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete