06 August 2012

Border Run Day 4 625km

Had a good sleep in. That is until Ghosty woke me by phone at 6am. 8am his time of course. But I was fast asleep and reached for the phone which was plugged in and so fell on the floor so I had to chase it. Lousy way to wake up.
Breakfast at Border Village was good and the fastest I have ever been served. I barely had time to get back to the table and sit down before the disgustingly cheery kitchen hand delivered my bacon and eggs. All breakfasts seemed to be appearing quickly. I reckon that bloke’s job was on the line.
In ones and twos the bikes all got under way, heading east or west as was their individual plans. I went to take a look at the Old Telegraph station at Eucla. Been through so many times and never got the chance.
It was three kays of gravel road but in pretty good condition. A strange place for the old stone house, amongst the encroaching dunes. Nice to get to see it.
I refuelled at Eucla at $1.75. Lots cheaper than Border Village and even Nullarbor. I also took the opportunity to call in at a couple of the Bite lookouts. They’re building lots of fences to protect us these days. I wasn’t aware that many tourists fell off. Maybe they did.
I went straight past Nullarbor with its expensive fuel and bad coffee. I was sure I had enough fuel to get to Nundroo and maybe even Penong. Nundroo only sells sugar cane fuel but I’d put a bit in if necessary. I decided that if the fuel warning light hadn’t come on, I’d attempt the 75km further to Penong. Sure enough the light stayed black past the Nundroo Servo and lit up about a hundred metres after!
But I stuck to my word and the 110 speed limit and made it to just 7km short of Penong. I’ve found that when a Wing runs out, no amount of wriggling or swerving will get any dregs that may be left in the bottom of the tank. It just gets dry and stops. So best to be prepared.
In went the spare 10 litres and I went right through to Ceduna, another 78km. No problems there.
Fueled up and it was about time to take a different route from normal so I turned off the main Highway and headed for Streaky Bay, arriving there an hour or so later. Checked in only to find two FarRider mates were also here.
So Lionel, John and I had a nice afternoon and evening nattering away.

No comments:

Post a Comment