06 August 2012

Border Run Day 5 777km

Up not too early. The sun doesn’t get up until 7:30 here. So a bit of breakky with Lionel and John and we bade our farewells.
I headed south a bit then across the Eyre peninsula hoping to catch the Cowes to Walleroo ferry – a sort of a short cut across Spencer Gulf. Their website showed a midday departure so I couldn’t hang about.
The roads in these parts are in very good condition. Mostly straight but with a few nice sweeping curves to make it interesting. Not many towns so the running was good. The only hiccup was in a small town called Lock. I was to cross the rail line here but a long train was stationary across the road and not looking to move. I waited a bit but could see it was filling a carriage from a nearby silo. So I turned in to the town and went looking and found a dirt road the crossed the line well behind the train. A few others were going that was as well so I guess that was a common occurrence.
I made it in to Cowell in time, well, my time anyway, only to find the time table had changed and the ferry had left an hour ago. Next one was not for five hours and it would be quicker than that to ride around. The ferry is about 15km out of town so there was nothing to do but go back in and find the bakery for a cuppa and a bit of lunch.
Then the long haul north to Port Augusta. The quickest way south from here is the highway but it is pretty boring. Much better to cross back over Horrocks Pass and run down the eastern side of the southern Flinders Ranges. No traffic and only a few small quiet towns. A great way to ride.
Pretty soon I was in to the wine-growing region of the Clare Valley and it was getting late and very cool. I wasn’t wearing the long johns so was starting to feel it. Time to find a motel and go indoors for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment